Now that winter is basically here, I have to find new ways to protect my hair from the harsh weather. Last year, my hair was usually styled in two strand twists or sometimes just left alone in an afro. This year, I decided to try a new protective style for the winter so I can wear the hats that I have purchased. The protective style I chose are big braids. And no I didn’t do them myself this time, I got them professionally done but I purchased 13 packs of hair myself for the stylist to use. Anyway, after I got them installed I wondered what can I do to minimize the itching at least.
Here are some of the things I did.
- Weekly scalp massages with Coconut oil at least twice a week.
- Spiriting my scalp with water ( Just enough to dampen it, not soak it)
- The key here is to keep the scalp as moisturized as possible!
- Then seal your scalp with any oil you choose. (With my case its coconut oil)
- This is done about twice a week.
This method that I tried has been working for me and my scalp barely itches with my braids in. This is just a helpful hint to those who want a simple method. Hope this helps!